At first, I felt guilty for signing my kids up for preschool on the same day-- all day, every week, in the summertime, no less.
The first day they were both gone was actually kind of excruciating for me. It was way too quiet. I felt lonely. I missed them. I (as mentioned above) felt guilty.
It was the first day I'd been alone all day in, if my memory serves me correctly, just over five years since my oldest was born!
I also didn't know what to do with myself that day. I ended up engrossing myself in bills and spreadsheets on the computer, and since there was no one around me nagging me that they were hungry, forgot to feed myself lunch. I was so happy to pick them up at the end of the day and embrace the loud, dirty, crazy messiness that is my little boys again.
But that's not happening today. I'm on my third week of this schedule and I've got the hang of it now. I'm completely happy that it's silent around here. And happy that I got to make my smoothie today with espresso in it.
'Cause if I make smoothies tomorrow when my boys are around, you know they'll want some...
And trust me: they do not need the espresso.
the veggies (er, fruit and stuff):
- 2 large (lungo) shots of espresso, or about 3/4 cup strong coffee, cooled for as long as you can stand it
- 1 1/2 cups frozen raspberries
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt or silken tofu
- 3 generous TBS chocolate syrup
- Throw it all in the blender and mix until smooth. This makes one large smoothie or two small ones. But, it's best enjoyed alone in complete, glorious silence-- so you should really drink it all yourself.