Wednesday, May 16, 2012

frito•salad

I have a confession to make:  I have a food blog and these days I basically don't cook. 


Etsy is mostly to blame, taking up most of my spare time with my own shop (mountainmamahandmade.etsy.com) and my husband's (wabisabiwolverine.etsy.com) to manage.


And, of course, my wild, genius children.  They definitely keep me on my toes...


The latest with the kids includes, but is not limited to, preparing my oldest (or myself?) for (gasp!) kindergarten next year.  This is a much bigger step than I had imagined-- something I never thought was a big deal but has already brought me to tears on more than one occasion over the last week.  I am bound to be a blubbering fool on the first day of school in the fall.


I digress--  I believe I was telling you how I don't cook.  We still eat healthy, but since other things have dragged me from my kitchen of late, I've kept it very quick and simple.  I've mostly stuck to cheater meals, including the lovely and delicious Frito salad:



I realize this is not an original concept, but some nights, especially on upcoming hot summer nights when you don't feel like firing up the stove or oven, it seems like genius.  Especially if you have what I consider to be the key ingredient:


If you know me at all, you have probably heard me bring this up in casual conversation on at least one occasion: Marie's Chipotle Ranch is awesome.  I eat it on nearly everything: salad (duh), Quorn chicken nuggets, sweet potato fries, Field Roast frankfurters, carrot sticks, veggie burgers, cereal...

Okay, not cereal-- not yet, anyway.

For all I rave about it, you might wonder if I have a sponsorship deal with Marie's.  Sadly, I don't, but I would certainly be open to the idea if anyone has any connections.

Back to the salad--  So quick; so simple; so yummy.  And it's easy to tweak into a healthy, simpler version for the lettuce-phobe children:  


We gobble it up and I'm back to chasing my five-year-old who just learned to ride his two-wheeler, and my "runner" of a two-year-old (who lately is not unlike Lily in the last episode of Modern Family).  And, maybe a little Etsy...

the veggies:
  • salad greens (I used a mix of romaine and baby spinach here)
  • Fritos, about a handful per salad
  • any or all of the following, or whatever else sounds good:
    • sliced avocados
    • chopped carrots
    • beans (I used pintos this time)
    • cubed cheese
    • tomatoes, cherry or chopped
    • red bell pepper, sliced or chopped
    • frozen corn, defrosted
  • and, of course, a generous dribbling of Marie's Chipotle Ranch

the love:
  1. Assemble in a big bowl and dig in.  That's it.  So simple, but crazy good.



No comments:

Post a Comment