Saturday, March 31, 2012

carrot cake•oatmeal

I'm in a bit of a rut.  Blog-wise (I'm just not feeling the inspiration lately, but I'm still hoping to get something new out once a week) and in other ways in which I don't feel like sharing with the general internet public...
Actually-- why not? 
I'm sure many of you reading this are parents, or have felt this way at some point for some other reason...  
And that is, simply, I'm getting burnt out.  I feel lately like I'm running in circles, getting nowhere but in a place with more laundry, more dirty house, more groceries to shop for, more dirty diapers to change, and more petty arguments with my incredibly strong-willed four-year old.
I know I should be better than this-- just generally feeling sorry for myself.  But I'm not-- not lately anyway.
And I know I'll get out of this rut eventually, but in the mean time, some comfort food might help.



And why not have this for dinner?  It's quick, nutritious, and cuts down on a bit of meal time bickering with Owen (breakfast for dinner is always seen as a treat at our house).




Hmm--  I think I'm starting to feel less sorry for myself already...


the veggies:
  • 2 cups oats
  • 6 cups water
  • a pinch of salt
  • 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp ginger
  • 3/4 cup maple syrup, plus more for drizzling on top (optional)
  • 2 cups shredded carrots
  • 1/2 cup raisins
  • 3 TBS flax meal
  • cream cheese, for garnish
  • about 1/2 cup chopped, toasted walnuts

the love:

  1. Combine the oats, water and salt in a saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat.  
  2. Stir in the spices, syrup, carrots, and raisins and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes until oats are a good consistency.
  3. Stir in the flax meal, then dish out the oatmeal into bowls.
  4. Top each serving with a dollop of cream cheese, a sprinkling of walnuts, and a drizzle of maple syrup, if you'd like.  And stop feeling sorry for yourself, already...


1 comment:

  1. Yum (and hello from a new follower)! Breakfast for dinner IS always great!

    ReplyDelete