Saturday, November 19, 2011

meet the (mostly) veggie•loving family

Our family is what you might technically call ovo-lacto vegetarians, meaning we don't eat animals but we do eat eggs (ovo), and dairy (lacto; most notably, lots of cheese!).  And no, we don't eat fish--they're animals, too (we've been asked that one or two times before...)!  We make one exception to our vegetarianism: marshmallows.  We're big campers, and could not bear to sit around a campfire without them.
By necessity, we keep our meals simple, affordable, and usually healthful.  I don't use a lot of obscure ingredients because they simply aren't available in the rural mountain community where we live.




Mama (Angela): I'm an at-home mama to two wily and energetic little boys.  I've been a vegetarian for about 14 years, and have slowly grown to love almost every veggie.  I'm always striving to expand my repertoire of simple, healthy, meat-free meals that my family will eat without complaint.  Now I'm excited to share some of the recipes I've found, adapted and created with my family, friends, and anyone else who may stumble upon them!  
My favorite meal is sag paneer with fresh-baked nan.  Sadly, I have not yet figured out how to cook really good authentic Indian food at home, and do not (yet) own a tandoori oven.



Brock is a wildlife biologist by day and a loving father and husband, artist, handyman, and so much more on nights and weekends (check out his website at wabisabiwolverine.com).  He dutifully eats his veggies, especially when they're accompanied by a hearty chunk of french bread.  He also loves nan-- but with dhal.



Owen is a too-smart-for-his-own-good four-year-old who loves Matchbox cars and (with a little gentle coaxing) at least tries most of his veggies.  His meal of choice is pineapple pizza, but he also loves anything involving pickles or black olives.




Oliver is almost two, is obsessed with animals, and, to the chagrin of his mama, is currently veggie-phobic.  His favorite meal varies by the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment