Bill feeds the kids cake for breakfast and they all start chanting, "Dad is great! He gives us chocolate cake!"*
Now Mom's great. 'Cause that's what I just did.
You might say, "Isn't this basically your Insane Chocolate Cake, with some flax meal and almonds mixed in?"
And I might say, "Don't be ridiculous!"
But really, it is.
But in all fairness I also cut back the sugar.
You might also say, "Isn't it a little crazy to feed your kids chocolate cake for breakfast?"
But I say this recipe has some redeeming nutritious elements to it (whole grains, banana, omegas...). We had these muffins for breakfast with some Greek yogurt, and felt pretty good after that.
And, oddly enough, no one complained...
- 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar, lightly packed
- 3 TBS flax seed meal
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 TBS apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 1 medium banana, mashed
- 2 cups cold water
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat your oven to 350° and prep 24 muffins' worth of pans.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flours, brown sugar, flax meal baking soda, salt, and cocoa. Smash any large lumps of brown sugar with the back of your mixing spoon.
- Make three holes in the flour mixture, and put the vanilla, vinegar, and oil each in a separate hole.
- Dump the mashed banana and the water over the top of everything and stir it all together until it's just combined. Fold in the almonds.
- Scoop the batter into your prepared pan and bake for about a half hour, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of a muffin comes out clean.
- Serve for breakfast, a snack, dessert-- whenever really-- and prepare for cheers.
*I couldn't find the Cosby Show clip, but here's a hilarious classic Bill Cosby standup clip about chocolate cake for breakfast: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRmN4KnfPxQ